Friday, March 23, 2012

Review: Sass and Serendipity by Jennifer Ziegler


Sass & SerendipityTitle: Sass and Serendipity 
Author:  Jennifer Ziegler 
Publisher: Delacorte Books For Young Readers
Publishing Date: July 12th 2011
Pages: 384
Genre: YA Classic Retelling/ Contemporary/Chic Lit 
Series:  Stand Alone
Source: Hardcover 
 
Daphne Rivera and her sister Gabby could not be more different. 

For fifteen-year-old Daphne, the glass is always half full, a dab of lip-gloss can ward off a bad day, and the boy of her dreams—the one she's read about in all of her beloved romance novels—is waiting for her just around the corner. 

But Daphne’s older sister Gabby wishes Daphne would get real. In Gabby’s world, everyone’s out for themselves, wearing makeup is a waste of time, and boys only distract you from studying before they break your heart. The only boy Gabby trusts is her best friend, Mule, who has always been there for her. 

Both Gabby and Daphne are still reeling from their parents’ divorce, though in very different ways. While Gabby will never forgive her unreliable father for failing her mother, Daphne idolizes her daddy and is sure that everything would work out fine if her cranky mom would just let him back into their lives. 

When a crisis leaves the girls and their mom homeless, help comes from an unexpected source, and both girls are courted by surprise suitors who shake up their views of the world. Suddenly the glass isn’t so clearly half empty or half full . . . and love seems a lot more complicated than they ever could have imagined.


This book I received as a book club read. I love the cover and I am excited to read a classic retelling. I went into this book with no prior knowledge of the classic but was ready to dive into the story. It was a good kind of read with lots of love, turmoil, and feelings. 

This is a story about two sisters. Two sisters that were complete opposites and wanted to live their life differently than the other. They do not approve of each other's lifestyles and choices. This is the story about their love for each and also finding themselves. 

This was a fast enjoyable read. Sass and Serendipity is a modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice. I have to admit that I have never read Pride and Prejudice, so I went into this book knowing nothing of the plot and characters.  For those of you that have not read Pride and Prejudice... this story follows two sisters, personalities opposite, and their life together as they have to learning, loving, and finding themselves. The story is a great story of growing up letting go. It is also a story about sisterhood and friendship. 

I liked the characters. They were unique and quite different from each other. One is a real leader, responsible, somewhat down to earth but really hard on herself and others. The other is a follower, irresponsible, always has her head in the clouds, and tries to look for the good in everyone. Each of the sisters has their strengths and weaknesses and by learning to live with each they learn they need a little of their sister in themselves.

I don't know the original story at all. I have never read the story and I am not sure I will. I have enjoyed the retelling though. I would think the story is comparable but updated but I really can't say for sure. It felt very modern with a classic kind of flair.




It was a fun read. It was a good book to settle down with in the evening and find laughter, tears, and some warm fuzzies inside.





Jennifer Ziegler

I make my living writing, talking about writing, teaching workshops on writing, editing people’s writing, and creating programs about writing for The Writers’ League of Texas, a nonprofit based in Austin, Texas.
I also married one of my favorite writers, Chris Barton, who writes beloved, bestselling books such asShark vs. Train and The Day-Glo Brothers. Together we live in Austin with our four kids (three sons and a daughter) and our dog, a Jack Russell terrier mix named Ernie.
When I’m not doing anything writing related, I like to read, go on long walks, do yoga, cook, eat, hang out with friends and family, and go camping or exploring. I also need plenty of time to daydream.

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I might just check this out. It sounds pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs