Sunday, July 8, 2012

Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) 
Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Publishing Date: March 27th 2007
Pages: 496
Genre: YA Urban Fantasy
Series: Mortal Instruments #1
Source: Hardcover

Goodreads Summary:


When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

Review:

I have really enjoyed reading this series and the first book is a wonderful start to an awesome series.

This story is about Clary, a teenager who finds out that there is a part to world she never knew existed. A world with Vampires, werewolves, fairies, Nephilim, and demons. She is pulled into this world when she starts to see all of these creatures, creatures that are not to be noticed by humans. Not only are they visible to her but they are after her and to keep her safe are 3 teenagers who call themselves Shadowhunters. Clary only thought that her world changed when she learned of the evil creatures of the world, what will she do now that she is a part of it.

This book is filled with great characters, action packed scenes, and twist and turns around every bend. I was unable to put this book down and when I was on the last page… I was already yearning for more.

I want to take a moment to talk about the characters what I do and do not like about them. Clary I like. She is headstrong, a troublemaker, and clueless, but I like her. She drew me in from the beginning and there is something about her that I just love. She is thrown into unfamiliar territory with very bad creatures and she just rolls with it. She does what needs to be done without batting an eyelash. Simon is Clary’s best friend. I am in love with Simon. He is so cute, nerdy, shy, so very loyal and extremely funny. He would follow Clary anywhere, even when he is scared witless. Simon kept me laughing throughout the book and I think without him, the story would not be what it is. Then we have Shadowhunters: Jace, Isabel, and Alec. I liked them all in this book. Isabel is awesome! She is a very strong, sarcastic, and a little ok a lot stuck up. She kicks butt and looks great doing it. I saw her as the girl every other girl would love to be. Alec is sweet and quiet. He didn’t stand out to me as much as the others but I stilled loved him. I am not sure of my feelings for Jace. I want to love him and hate him. He seems to really care at times and wants to be the good guy then he opens his mouth and SELFISH JERK spews out. We also have many minor characters, a very unique vampire, a very loving werewolf, and very evil bad guys. 



The story line was very entertaining. Some things were easy to see coming down the road but the book still had plenty of mysteries to uncover and twists that I was not expecting. For the most part there is nothing out of the ordinary urban fantasy stories but there is just enough freshness to keep me interested, especially how every creature imaginable are intertwined together. 

If you are looking for a book with nonstop action, thrills, secrets, and treachery, and you have not picked this series up yet. I would recommend giving it a go.

Rating:





10 comments:

  1. I love this series... That is all.

    Great review!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I love this series but I hate Clary and Jace. Jace is a selfish jerk as you pointed out, and Clary is just so unlikable and whiny.

    I wouldn't go so far as to call Alec nice, though. He's a bit of a silent jerk. Simon, however, I totally agree with. I love him. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book again a while ago and I fell in love with Jace all over again. Jace from the first three books...not the fourth. Alec always seemed like a whiner to me, idk.

    --Markella

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I have this on my Kindle, not sure when I will get to it. I loved your thoughts on each of the characters. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cassandra Clare is one of my favorite authors right now! I love this series! Its amazing... everyone should read it.

    melissargolden@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review! I would love to start the Mortal Instruments series..I know what book I'm going to pick up today at the bookstore!

    Lilian @ A Novel Toybox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I think you hit all the points! Sometimes it is so hard to like Jace because he can be such an ass! The action of the story, and the mystery really pulls you in, making you want to race ahead. Clary is one of my fav female protagonists! She's awesome!

    I can't wait for the movie to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing review. I love this series! I have to say I love Jace because of his sarcasm and wit that covers up all the pain he has had.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I favor the infernal devices series than this one. great review

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me and y sister are in love with this series. She's on her 3rd time reading it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs