Friday, July 19, 2013

Review: Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas


Dangerous Girls

Title:  Dangerous Girls 
Author: Abigail Haas
Publisher: 
 Simon Pulse 
Publishing Date: July 16th 2013
Pages: 400
Genre:  YA Mystery/Thriller
Series: Stand Alone
Source: ARC




It's Spring Break of senior year. Anna, her boyfriend Tate, her best friend Elise, and a few other close friends are off to a debaucherous trip to Aruba that promises to be the time of their lives. But when Elise is found brutally murdered, Anna finds herself trapped in a country not her own, fighting against vile and contemptuous accusations.
As Anna sets out to find her friend's killer; she discovers hard truths about her friendships, the slippery nature of truth, and the ache of young love.
As she awaits the judge's decree, it becomes clear that everyone around her thinks she is not just guilty, but dangerous. When the truth comes out, it is more shocking than one could ever imagine...



This was one book I couldn't wait to get my hands on this year. I wanted it from the moment I discovered it. I love the cover, the title, the synopsis, and I loved the book. It was one of my favorite reads this year, the best mystery thriller I have read in a very long time. It was awesome, the characters, the story, the mystery, just awesome. A page turn from the very beginning. 

Anna and her friends take a trip to Aruba for spring break their senior year. After a night of partying the gang can't get a hold of Elise, Anna's best friend. After waiting all day they call 911 and break into Elise's room to find her dead. Stabbed 13 times. After an investigation Anna and her boyfriend are charged with murder and are put on trial.


I thought this book was beyond amazing. I really loved it. The mystery of the story was stupendous. I had my guesses and my thoughts throughout the story but never felt 100 percent sure. The story wasn't just a mystery either it was a great telling of the relationships between the characters and the life they lived. It was an up close account through Anna's eyes on what happened. There was a great amount of friendship, betrayal, loyalty, and secrets going on in this story. I felt very much apart of the story and the lives they lived. 

The author did a wonderful job writing and telling the story. I love the way the story was told. The story does many flashbacks going back to when everyone met, through the years, the vacation, the night it happened, during the investigation, and before the trial. The present is the trial. It was not confusing one bit and the flashbacks were told with perfect timing to put together the whole story. It was easy to follow and was very exciting. Each time one flashback ended, I wanted more. It was never enough but always just enough. 


The characters were a bunch of troubled teens in this book. They all start off sounding pretty cool until Anna allows us to dig deeper and see what was really go on. I don't have words for any of the main characters. The entire book was about the story not the characters, so I didn't get attached. I understood Anna's fear, sadness, confusion, pain, and everything else the murder and the trail caused but I was more interested in finding the truth. I wasn't sure where Anna stood in the truth. She was a great main character to keep me invested in her story but I didn't feel the attachment I normally feel with the characters, but I think I stayed detach enough just in case..... 


The story was very fast paced. It was a 400 page book but it never felt like it. I really couldn't put it down and when I had too, I couldn't stop thinking about it. The very beginning started with a bang. The first scene is the 911 call, the break in to the room, and the discovery of the body.... the very last scene was a whopper too. Non stop thrills and outrageous scenes from party scenes, emotional moments, and courtroom suspense. 


There isn't really anything more I can say about this book without saying too much. I Loved It!  I you like mysteries, dark and twisted, and wonderful writing... this is what this book was. 


Unforgettable read! 







2 comments:

  1. Oooh, this sounds like thriller book that I would enjoy. Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this one around and pretty much everyone is loving it. Glad to hear it's an unforgettable read and that it met your expectations. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs