Monday, August 5, 2013

Review: Belladonna by Fiona Paul


Belladonna (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #2)

Title: Belladonna 
Author: Fiona Paul
Publisher: 
 Philomel
Publishing Date: July 16th 2013
Pages: 352
Genre:  Historical  Fiction Mystery/Thriller
Series: The Secrets of the Eternal Rose #2
Source:  Audio

  





In Renaissance Italy, love, lust, intrigue and secret societies converge to stunning results!


In the second in the stunning Secrets of the Eternal Rose series, Cassandra Caravello is trying to forget Falco, the wild artist who ran off with her heart, as she grows closer to her strong, steady fiancé, Luca. But Luca seems to have his own secrets. When he’s arrested by soldiers in the middle of the night, Cass’s life is once again thrown into chaos. She must save Luca, and that means finding the Book of the Eternal Rose—the only evidence that will prove he’s innocent.

So begins her journey to Florence, a city haunted by whispers of vampirism, secret soirees and clandestine meetings of the Order of the Eternal Rose. And home to Falco, who is working for the Order’s eerily stunning leader, the Belladonna herself.

Can Cass trust her heart to lead her to the truth this time?
Nothing is as it seems in this seductive thriller, where the truth may be the deadliest poison of all.





I loved absolutely loved the first book and I couldn't wait to get to the second. Venom definitely left me wanting more and Belladonna gave me more and then some. The mystery continues with more creep factor, more suspense, and more thrills. 



After surviving her first mystery and dangerous encounters, Cass finds herself once again wrapped up in a dangerous scheme. Falco is gone, Cass is engaged to Luca, and Luca is in prison on a death sentence for something he did not do. The only change he has has is if Cass find the book of The Eternal Rose.  The search takes her to Florence where she uncovers some really creepy things going on, the only explanation the  city has is Vampires... not far from the truth Cass once again finds herself in lots of trouble.




This book surpassed all my expectations. I loved every moment of the book. Some say it started out slow but for me it was never slow. I loved the story, the suspense, the characters, and the writing was just phenomenal. So So Good. 

These books are just amazing. There were two different mysteries in book one and book two but they are tied together to be centered around The Order of the Eternal Rose. More secrets come out in this book and I am so intrigued and ecstatic for where it is headed. I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I started this series and I am so glad that I gave this series a chance. I thought it was a historical fiction/mystery but it is so much more and it is written so beautifully. It didn't take much at all to transform me back in time to experience the century's customs and the culture of Italy. 

The story and the writing weren't the only awesome thing in this book. I fell in love with the Cass in the first book and I fell for more in this book. Cass is still so awesome. She is bit too girly at times, but she has toughened up pretty good for the second book. She is determined to save Luca and I admired the fire in her to get it done. She wasn't letting anyone stand in her way,  not even Falco. 

The boys are back of course there is very little of them in the book compared to Cass and her friend, Siena. They were the stars in this book and they didn't disappoint... but Falco and Luca did make the appearances and my heart truly belongs to Luca,  In Venom, I wasn't sure who I liked out of the boys. It was such a whirlwind of who is who and who did what and who is lying... I never made a choice. This book I am all about Luca. He is the sweet, loyal, kind, brave, true gentleman kind of guy. Falco really got on my nerves. He was selfish, annoying,and just rude. Not a fan at all. 

My favorite character, Siena. She rocked. She was loyal without fault and I knew if I could trust anyone it was here. She never wavered and in the end her love for Cass saved the day.... Loved her! 

Awesome Awesome book. I wish I was better at words to describe this book in the way it deserves. Like I said I loved the first but this one was way beyond better. If you liked the first you will not be disappointed. 




Must read series! Can't wait to get my hands on the next book. 






2 comments:

  1. Great review! I love Italy -- one of my favorite places to read about. Especially Venice. I'll have to get started on these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was better than the first, for sure. I also loved Siena. Great character. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs