Thursday, October 24, 2013

Review: Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano




Perfect Ruin (Internment Chronicles, #1)Title: Perfect Ruin
Author: Lauren DeStefano
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster
Publishing Date: October 1st 2013
Pages: 356
Genre:  YA Dystopian
Series: The Internment Chronicles #1
Source: Audio

  





On Internment, the floating island in the clouds where 16-year-old Morgan Stockhour lives, getting too close to the edge can lead to madness. Even though Morgan's older brother, Lex, was a Jumper, Morgan vows never to end up like him. She tries her best not to mind that her life is orderly and boring, and if she ever wonders about the ground, and why it is forbidden, she takes solace in best friend Pen and her betrothed, Basil.

Then a murder, the first in a generation, rocks the city. With whispers swirling and fear on the wind, Morgan can no longer stop herself from investigating, especially when she meets Judas. He is the boy being blamed for the murder — betrothed to the victim — but Morgan is convinced of his innocence. Secrets lay at the heart of Internment, but nothing can prepare Morgan for what she will find — or who she will lose.




I absolutely adored Wither and was excited to see a new series coming out from the same author. Something different, fresh, sounding very promising. It was everything I hoped for. The story was really unique and very enjoyable. I loved the characters, adored the romance, and enjoyed the suspense of the story and mystery.



Morgan lives in a city in the sky. Surrounded by clouds and unable to see the beyond, she thinks life is pretty dandy. She is bit of a free spirit and has wondered many times about the ground but for the most part, she is content… until the day the murder happens. Murders don’t happen in Internment. At least they haven’t in a long time. Now a girl from school has been murdered and since her death nothing is as it seems. Morgan finds out no one is who she though they were.. not her brother, her parents, the girl who died, the accused murderer, even the royal family. Everything has changed, has she?



This story had so many good things and I just want to rant about them. 

 I love a good story where the romance is secondary but it’s there and its strong and I can feel it deep inside. The romance was like that in this book. Morgan lived in a society where you were intended for someone once you were born. Matched from birth. The city is very small and knowing who you will one day marry decides those you hang out with pretty early on. It doesn’t seem anyone is upset or annoyed by the fact that their intended is chosen for them. Morgan doesn’t mind. She and her intended, Basil, get along famously and from the beginning of the story I could tell they cared for each other deeply. Though out the story I was able to see that caring grow into more as they faced new disturbances in their life. It was sweet, endearing, and sometimes nauseating because it was so good. It was without all the un-necessary things that bring a romance down such as insta love, or overbearing moments, or a  love triangle. It was pure and honest and I loved it! It  was just perfect, so natural, so easy. They two were betrothed from birth but they were never rushed. They knew they were meant for each but they had years to get to know each other, become friends, and eventually fall in love. They were close when the book started, cared for each other deeply.. but the falling in love.. at least the realization of it.... I got to experience with them and it was wonderful. I wish more books had a love story like this one. The romance is important to the story but not the main point of the story. The journey, the wonder, the eye opening experience is the main point and it was great too but the romance sure helped out a bunch. 

The characters were just amazing too. So much to say about Morgan, I felt she was amazing. She was curious, strong willed, caring, and very independent .. but still very soft. She was very naive about the world she lived in, but she knew this and wanted to know more. She was naturally curious and wanted so much more than what there was, and at the same time, she was completely satisfied. She was a puzzle within herself. She grew tons by the end and I couldn't help but love her. 

Morgan was betrothed to Basil. I absolutely positively loved Basil. He was the ultimate nice guy. Loved Morgan unconditionally and just as she was. He would have followed her anywhere even off the edge of the sky... he even told her so. He always made true on his promises and he was Morgan's anchor.  He was everything a strong man should be for a girl and I couldn't help it, I loved him. 

The story was filled with mystery, up to the very end. This is the first dystopian book I have read that has a murder mystery as one of the main attractions. It was a great mystery too. I didn't try hard to figure out the who only the why. There was definitely something fishy going on, it was clear from the beginning and I for sure wanted to get to the bottom of it. 

I also really enjoyed the way the book was written. Lauren DeStefano has a way with words, her writing is quite beautiful. The book didn't read like a romance, dystopian, mystery, or fantasy book. It had a bit of each it in but it was clearly a book that fit into its own genre. It was an experience just with the writing. 

There were a few slow parts in the story for me. I think I may have lost focus a couple of times but it was few and far between. The slow parts were instrumental in the world building and gave so much dimension in the story, I didn't mind the slow parts. The story was a smooth and easy ride that was breezy and wonderful. I expect the next book to be full of the twists and turns of a thrill ride. This was a definite build up and I am totally excited for the next book. 

Just so you know... major cliff hanger at the end. It about killed me. So just be prepared. 



Well worth the read. 






4 comments:

  1. Lol. I have this one on my shelf, waiting to be read. I haven't read Wither - it seemed too dark for me so I skipped it - but the reviews of that series convinced me to try this one. I may just wait to read this until the second book is out though now I know there's a cliff hanger ending, thanks for the tip. I'm hoping this series will replace Divergent in my heart now that trilogy is coming to a close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to pick this one up now! ahhh no time no time lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the romance in this one it was really well balanced inside the story. I wanted more answers overall but I had a good time reading it! I think book 2 will be more for me seeing as how it ended we,ll finally get to see what earth people think of that city and possibly where the heck it comes from (I don't believe it was a god thing ). Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this. It sounds like one that I would really enjoy. Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs