Sunday, June 8, 2014

Review: Dark Days by Kate Ormand

Dark DaysTitle: Dark Days
Author: Kate Ormand
Series: Stand Alone ?
Publisher: Sky Sony Press
Publishing Date: June 3rd 2014
Pages: 256
Genre: YA Dystopian
Source: ARC


  

The future world has been divided into sectors--each the same as the other. Surrounded by thick steel fences, there is no way in and no way out. Yet a cyborg army penetrates each sector, picking off its citizens one by one, until no one is left. Behind the sectors' thick walls, the citizens wait to die. Few will be chosen to survive what's coming; the rest will be left behind to suffer. A new world has been created, and its rulers are incredibly selective on who will become a citizen. They want only those with important roles in society to help create a more perfect future. 
Sixteen-year-old Sia lives in one of the sectors as part of a family that is far too ordinary to be picked to live. According to the digital clock that towers high above her sector, she has only fifteen days to live. Sia has seen the reports and knows a horrific death is in store for her, but she is determined to make the most of her final days. Sia refuses to mourn her short life, instead promising herself that she'll stay strong, despite being suffocated by her depressed mother and her frightened best friend. Just when Sia feels more alone than ever, she meets Mace, a mysterious boy. There is something that draws Sia to him, despite his dangerousness, and together, they join a group of rebels and embark on an epic journey to destroy the new world and its machines, and to put an end to the slaughter of innocent people.



I love a good dystopian book and I love one to be original, creative. This book was definitely original and creative, unfortunately it was was as good as I was hoping for. The idea was so good but the follow through lacked for me. I wasn't able to connect to the characters as well as I like and the book just felt too rushed. Too much information in a very short book, I was wanting more than what I received. 

Sia and her family, mother and father, live in a sector where everything is the same. Same houses, same colors, same day after day. Its been that way since the beginning, but now it's finally going to change because the sector is closing, the inhabitants that aren't chosen for the New World will be executed. No hope, no future, no escape. Sia finds a group that wants to fight back, a group of rebels that have a handful of members that want to live. Sia finds a way to help the rebels, but the cost of getting caught is extremely high, not just for her but for her family, her friends, her entire sector. 


I really loved the idea of this book. Sectors being made in hopes of succeeding, when they don't, well they are just killed off and a New World is built. Only the best of the best or the ones with the most to offer get the chance to move to the New  World. I can really see this being an issue in the future. Its been and issue in the past, and I think it will continue to be an issue. There will always be those who dream of a perfect world filled with the perfect inhabitants. Sounds very extreme, intense, and full of depth, but it wasn't. Beyond the awesome idea was a book filled with shortcomings. 

The main problem I had with this book was the pacing and the lack of detail, history, depth. The book felt rushed. Everything went so fast that I felt I was in a race to the finish. I wasn't able to get a full feel of the world, the characters, or the deep dark tone I wanted to feel so badly. I really wanted so much more. The history of the world wasn't there and that was a shame. I wanted to know how the sectors became and why the sectors failed. I wanted to know who was in charge and how the executions of an entire community was just accepted. There were so many questions and just no answers. I just kept hoping to get somewhere in the book that would give me some kind of explanation of the world I was thrown into and it never happened. The world itself, for the present day in the book, was pretty clear. Details of the scenery, the houses, the way things ran. That was there. But why was it the way it was... no clue. 

There was also a huge lack of connection the characters. Sia seemed like she would be a cool, Strong, brave heroine of such a dark story. She really put herself out there. She wanted to save her sector. She wanted to survive. I got that but I still didn't feel as if I knew her. I couldn't get a feel for the Sia before the end of her world started.

There was a bit of romance, a possible love triangle in the making, but again... I didn't feel it. I could see that there was a romance, but no chemistry, no heat, no passion. It was just there and in a very short amount of time since the book started out with only 10 days or something like that, til the end. 

So yes the idea rocked, the beginning of something good but the execution of it just fell short. The ending was a bit abrupt and it felt like it could be a series. I am not certain if it will be or if I will continue to read if it is. I would possibly try it out to see if any of my question would be answered, or if I could possibly connect to the characters, or just to see how it all ends, but I wouldn't be in a rush. 


This book wasn't a horrible read by any means, but it just didn't do it for me. 











Kate Ormand
KATE ORMAND is a YA writer represented by Isabel Atherton at Creative Authors Ltd. She lives in the UK with her family, her partner, and a cocker spaniel called Freddie. She recently graduated from university with a first class BA (Hons) degree in Fine Art Painting. It was during this course that Kate discovered her love of reading YA books, prompting her to try a new creative angle and experiment with writing. Kate is also a member of an online group of published writers and illustrators called Author Allsorts. And she writes children’s picture books under the name Kate Louise. 
You can see more about Kate and her writing by visiting her website (www.kateormand.wordpress.com) or on Twitter (@kateormand).

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs