Sunday, November 2, 2014

Review: Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis

Stitching SnowTitle: Stitching Snow
Author: R.C. Lewis
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Publishing Date: October 14th 2014
Pages: 338
Genre: YA Sci-Fi/Fairy Tale Retelling
Series: Stand Alone
Source: Audio




  
Princess Snow is missing.

Her home planet is filled with violence and corruption at the hands of King Matthias and his wife as they attempt to punish her captors. The king will stop at nothing to get his beloved daughter back—but that’s assuming she wants to return at all.

Essie has grown used to being cold. Temperatures on the planet Thanda are always sub-zero, and she fills her days with coding and repairs for the seven loyal drones that run the local mines.

When a mysterious young man named Dane crash-lands near her home, Essie agrees to help the pilot repair his ship. But soon she realizes that Dane’s arrival was far from accidental, and she’s pulled into the heart of a war she’s risked everything to avoid. With the galaxy’s future—and her own—in jeopardy, Essie must choose who to trust in a fiery fight for survival.


I can never get enough of fairy tale retellings, especially when they are done right. This one was done oh so right. It was exciting, fresh but with all the remnants of the original. Great characters, thrilling story, great writing. It was just good, oh so good and I loved it from cover to cover...including the cover. 

Princess Snow has been missing for 8 years. She was believed to be kidnapped and due to the kidnapping planets are at war. There is one boy that is determined to find snow and bring peace... well at least help his people that are being held prisoner by King Mathias. 

Essie wants a peaceful life of hiding. She lives on a very cold and bitter planet, friends with drones, helping miners, and fighting for payment. She is pretty much a hermit, only comes out when she needs to. 

Dane crash lands on Essie's plant, Thanda. Believing she is the Princess Snow and can save his people, his crash landing brings the two on a crazy adventure full of betrayal, murder attempt, secrets, and of course love. 


Another retelling I just loved. The only thing that kept my rating down one star was the pacing. There was a bit of a slow beginning. But really that was it. I loved everything else. I have heard some say its too much like Cinder. I am a Cinder fan and this is nothing like Cinder except that it is a sci fi fantasy retelling instead of straight fantasy retelling or modern retelling. Yes there is a princess, a prince, a wicked step mother, robot friends, and inter planet travelling, but it all centers around a completely different tale of Snow White and it sticks pretty close the the tale where as Cinder was all a story on its own. 

Princess Snow is a bit more of fighter than the fairy tale portrayed her. In this book she kicks butt. She is more hesitant when it comes to saving people but she still has a heart of gold. She is smart, intelligent, witty, independent, and like a said she kicks butt. I liked the spin this author gave Snow in this book. Not the sweetheart she has always been but still brave and kind. 

The prince rocked too. He was pretty amazing. Swoon worthy. He starts off a bit of a jerk but not meaning to be. He is determined to save his people and doesn't know what's really at stake. Once he learns the truth and that he loves the princess...well its all over. He falls and he falls hard and he so brave and gallant. Yes just like I like them. 

So one of my favorite set of characters was the seven drones. Lets see there was Zippy, Clank, Clunk, Cusser, Swirly Gig, Dimwit... and I can't remember the last one. Of course Dimwit was the best. He was completely fun and kept me laughing out loud throughout the book. Cusser was a good one too. The seven drones were just amazing. I was able to know some more than other and my only wish was that I could have spent more time with all the drones. 

The story was good, really good. The plot just amazing. I liked how evil the stepmother was and how the father fit into everything. He wasn't so innocent either. I liked the war of planets, the sci fi stuff, and the real star wars kind of feel... I don't mean specifically the movie but the type of sci fi it was. I was written well and right to my liking. Funny and serious, in depth but not too much. I was never lost and never bored. It was great.

Just so much good about this book. I love finding stand alones, and this book has a super duper ending, but this time I kind of wish it wasn't a stand alone. 


Another phenomenal retelling to add to my collection. 




R.C. Lewis
When I'm not writing novels, I'm teaching math. Or when I'm not teaching math, I'm writing novels. It gets a little confusing in here sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... it's interesting that this is not like Cinder. I was under the assumption it was very similar. I actually think I'll really like that it sticks close to the tale. I'm looking forward to reading this one myself, even more so after seeing your rating. I was a little hesitant about starting it, so I was waiting until some of the reviews started flowing in. Your review has definitely pushed me toward READ NOW! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs