Monday, May 23, 2016

Review: Fallout by Gwenda Bond



Fallout (Lois Lane, #1)Title: Fallout
Author:  Gwenda Bond
Publisher: Switch Press
Publishing Date: May 1st 2015
Pages: 304
Genre: YA Retellings
Series:  Lois Lane #1
Source: Hardcover
 
Lois Lane is starting a new life in Metropolis. An Army brat, Lois has lived all over—and seen all kinds of things. (Some of them defy explanation, like the near-disaster she witnessed in Kansas in the middle of one night.) But now her family is putting down roots in the big city, and Lois is determined to fit in. Stay quiet. Fly straight. As soon as she steps into her new high school, though, she can see it won’t be that easy. A group known as the Warheads is making life miserable for another girl at school. They’re messing with her mind, somehow, via the high-tech immersive videogame they all play. Not cool. Armed with her wit and her new snazzy job as a reporter, Lois has her sights set on solving this mystery. But sometimes it’s all a bit much. Thank goodness for her maybe-more-than-a friend, a guy she knows only by his screenname, SmallvilleGuy.




So I love retellings, I love superheroes, I love old comics. So this was a given read for me. I was super excited when I recieved it as a gift and I read it as soon as I had the chance. I really enjoyed this read. It had a ton of creativity and lots of action, friendship, and good ole mystery. It kept me interested til the very last page. I am ready for the second book. 


Lois Lane has had a hard time in school. She keeps getting herself in trouble becuase of her dang curiousity. She has had to move another time. Change schools, lose friends, and start over. This time she vows to keep her nose clean, ignore the weirdness that always gets her snoopy but things change when school kids are getting turned into robot followers of a bully in school. She can't help it, she has to uncover the truth. It only makes it hard to resist when she was offered a place with the students that work for the local newspaper. She has all the tools, new friends willing to sneak around with her, and of course her trusted online friend, smallville guy, cheering her on. Of course this is Lois Lane and she always ends up in trouble. 

I truly enjoyed this read. I did have a few small issues. One was the pacing, the other was character connection was kind of slow for me. Now the pacing did speed up in the end and I did connect in with Lois and her friends close to the end. I was left with wanting more. So in  my world, I loved this read. The beginning was slow but the end was so good. 

Lois Lane was a busy body, nosy, always wanting the truth. She didn't mean to step on toes, get in trouble, or cause any problems but she always did. She had a natural curiousity and sense of justice for the world. So this led to many investigations and story writing. Her father was military and he was hard. Stict. Always trying to make her behave. Really behaving wasn't her issue. She wanted to be good. She had a great heart. She just loved juicy newsworthy stories. 

Lois was a lonely soul. She moved all the time. If it wasn't becuase her dad was in the military it was because of the trouble she caused. She wasn't good at making friends. One friend though was true to her. Smallville guy. Of course we all know who this is. And I am a huge Clark Kent fan so it made me giddy anything these two interacted. I do wish there was more of him in the book. Smallville guy was her voice of reason. Well he tried but sometimes he just encouraged instead. Their relationship was sweet but just building. SO it wasn't huge in the books. Kind of wish it had more of an appearance. 

This book was not about Superman and Lois Lane and their romace. It was more about how Lois Lane came to who she was in the future. Before she worked as a journalist. This book outlined her personality and home life. Her struggles and her strengths. 

There was a good mystery, some supernatural aspect, so fantasy of course, and at last some fighting and escaping. It kept me on my toes. It was a good mystery and although it was more of a Veronica Mars meshing with Scooby Doo instead of superhero type action. I enjoyed the story very much. 

I also want to talk about the covers to this series. I don't usually mention covers but I just love this cover and the cover to the next book. They are so perfect for the book, great contrast, wonderful colors. They do a great job on pulling me towards these books. 

This book was filled with lots of great chracters, some growing pains among the characters, and some action with a teeny bit of romance. I look forward to the next book. 

Not really what I expected but I did love it. 




Gwenda Bond
I’m an author of young adult books. My latest are Lois Lane: Fallout, which brings the iconic comic book character front and center in her own YA novel, and Girl on a Wire, about a daredevil heroine who discovers magic and mystery lurking beneath the big top. Coming in 2016 are Lois Lane: Double Down and Girl in the Shadows, a new novel of the Cirque American. It’s possible that I escaped from a classic screwball comedy.
I live in a hundred-year-old house in Lexington, Kentucky, with my husband author Christopher Rowe, and our menagerie.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Imagination Designs