Sunday, April 15, 2018

Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)Title: Red Queen
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publishing Date: February 10th, 2015
Pages: 383
Audio Length: 12 Hours and 40 Minutes
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Series: Red Queen
Source: Audio
 


This is a world divided by blood - red or silver. The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change. That is, until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power.Fearful of Mare's potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime.But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance - Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart
What made me pick this book up: 
I bought it right around when it first came out, so who knows what made me pick it up. 
Probably the silver with the pop of red. And red queen reminded me of Alice in Wonderland. So maybe that's what made me actually pick it up.


What did I like about the cover: 
Once again, I love the color pop. Color pop is always my favorite thing. 
Plus the cover is suuuuper sparkly and shiny and pretty. The paperback isn't as shiny and it made me sad.


What made me read this book: 
I bought it years ago, and never got around to it. Of course the story was always interesting to me, I just never really got into it. 
Jenn had it on audio, so I figured it was time. 
And must I mention it fit for a task for the reading challenge? I think I should just stop mentioning that...


What did I like the most: 
Of course I love the story of it. Silver bloods vs red bloods. And the fact that the silvers each have powers. I love reading about the silver's abilities and how they lived. 

I really loved the main character, she actually seemed like she had a good head on her shoulders most of the book.

I also loved both of the princes. They were both sweet and caring. Cal was a little bit more prince-ish? Like he had to follow the rules. This book had me on the edge of me seat needing more more more. I just had to keep listening and I absolutely loved it.

What didn't I like:
I CAN'T SAY! It would be a huge spoiler. But let's just say something huge and awful happens and IT WILL MAKE YOU SO MAD. Ugh.

Would I read the rest of the series/more from this author?
YESSSSSS


This book is seriously amazing. I am so surprised by how much I loved it.

“I'm a Red girl in a sea of Silvers and I can't afford to feel sorry for anyone, least of all the son of a snake.” ― Victoria AveyardRed Queen
The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1)The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1)The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)The Storyspinner (The Keepers' Chronicles, #1)The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1)

I'm a screenwriter/YA author who likes books and lists. This site is the nexus of my universe.
My book RED QUEEN will be published Winter 2015 from HarperTeen at HarperCollins. I'm repped by the incomparable Suzie Townsend at New Leaf Literary & Media, Inc.

The genres I'm into include YA, Fantasy, Historical, Adventure, Apocalyptic - if people are dying, I'm buying.





1 comment:

  1. All I have to say is, READ THIS BOOK. There’s magic and mayhem, and just an amazing world that you will love. I love how fierce Mare is as a character. I hate that there may be this big mush fest with Mare and the Princes. Ugh, why did that have to happen? But, as they say; if you play the part long enough, feelings will start to come into play. I definitely recommend this book.

    ReplyDelete

 
Imagination Designs